What is Psalter Project?
Psalter Project is a resource intended to encourage and enable psalm singing. We see music as an irreplaceable means to “let the word of Christ dwell in you richly” (Col 3:16). Our goal is to write, publish, and promote fresh arrangements for these eternally relevant lyrics.
Our core commitment is always using faithful translations of the psalms. We believe the psalms are God’s Word. Not only are they completely true, but they also have the authority and ability to transform our lives. Translating ancient Hebrew poetry into contemporary English lyrics is difficult, to say the least. However, altering the words changes the nature of the song. Paraphrased arrangements of the psalms don’t carry the weight of the eternal attributes of Scripture. Our goal with Psalter Project is to sing the very Word of God.
Is It Worth It?
Singing literal psalm translations can be confusing, foreign, and just plain hard sometimes. Why bother? The most compelling reason to sing the psalms comes from God Himself. Twice in the New Testament he commands us to sing the psalms (Eph 5:19, Col 3:16). But God’s commands are always for our benefit. Here are just a few advantages of psalm singing:
- Memorizing and meditating on God’s infallible and effectual Word
- Knowing Jesus more fully (Read Singing the Songs of Jesus for an eye-opening look at this topic)
- Simultaneously expressing and training our emotions in accordance with God’s Word
- Internalizing and applying theological concepts in our daily lives
- Familiarizing ourselves with a broader variety and depth of Biblical topics
- Reminding us that we exist in a community as well as individuals
- Teaching us how we ought to pray and giving us words when we have none
Whether you’re just starting out or you’ve been singing psalms for years, we all need some encouragement and inspiration sometimes. Check out the Psalter Project podcast to dig deeper into the psalm singing community.